The Friday Five
It is Friday, folks. Or as we say in China, Xingxiwoooooooooooooooooooo! And this Friday is special because it is the Friday before the Chinese New Year holiday begins. Which means as of 3:20 this afternoon, I am on holiday. Which means tomorrow I am getting out of here and heading to Thailand. Which means I should probably pack. Basically, life is looking up.In keeping with my holiday-inspired, light and cheerful attitude, I am writing a light and cheerful post. It is mostly just a list of things I'm lovin' on these days. But they all make me happy…so I thought maybe they might make you happy too. Here we go...
1. Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
Okay…there is so much to say about this book and yet I can't possibly put it all into words. Suffice it to say that, for me, right now, this book is everything. It is quickly becoming my bible. If you are in any way craving a bit more creativity in your life or just need a good pep talk from a woman who is smart, talented and not afraid to curse…drop what you are doing right now (But not the baby! Hold onto the baby!) and order it. It is good y'all. Real good. I'll make it easy for you. Here is the amazon link.
2. This Coldplay song. Love it! This song is on loop in my house right now. It just makes me so happy (and makes me want to go back to India). Full stop.
3. A Color Story There are so many different apps out there that will help make your photos a little more fun. Right now, I am loving this one by A Beautiful Mess.
I have had such a good time snapping photos of my kiddos and playing around with the filters on this. And...it is free! You can buy extra filters/add-ons but I haven't yet and I am still having lots of fun with it! It is just a super simple way to make already cute photos that much cuter.
See Exhibit A:
And Exhibit B:
I could keep going but you get the idea....it just gives it a little extra something, doesn't it?
4. The Bold Life Movement In my very first year of teaching, I met Kim. She was a student of mine. I remember her being adorable and bubbly and just genuinely a nice person. Somewhere down the line we became friends on Facebook, which allowed me a little peep-hole into her life. It so interesting to watch former students grow up and become adults! Truly fascinating. Especially when these students go out into the world and accomplish amazing things. I have watched from the sidelines as Kim worked hard this past year to launch her new brand, The Bold Life Movement.I love her message. I love her attitude and approach to life. And I think she is going places! Check out her new podcast here. It may just inspire you to live a little more boldly! Proud of you Kim!
5. Autocorrect Greatness I have seen these texts being shared on Facebook a lot recently, but just in case you missed it hit up my Homebody and Soul Facebook page (just click the Facebook tab at the top of this page)...you will find it there. It is seriously too good to miss! Sometime in the future, when I am having a horrible day, I will revisit this. And everything will be right again.But just to give this last point some context: The other night I found myself wide awake at 3:00 a.m. (Probably because a naked 5 year old was kicking me in the face and stealing the covers…but never mind that. For the record, that naked 5 year old is my son…I thought I should make that clear so it sounds less creepy). Anyway, I did what I normally do when faced with wide-awakeness in the middle of the night…I began mindlessly scrolling through Facebook. In my scrolling, I stumbled across the above mentioned collection of autocorrect fails and started reading. Y'all...I am not sure I have ever laughed so hard in my life. By text 15, I was practically choking. I was laughing SO hard but trying to be SO quiet so I wouldn't wake anyone else up. In fact, Brado did wake up because he thought I was DYING. And then when I finally caught my breath to explain why I was laughing so hard, I gave him my phone to show him the texts. And then he was CRYING because he was laughing so hard. So it was 3 a.m. on a school night and here we were, with a naked 5 year old sleeping soundly between us, laughing so hard that tears were streaming down our faces. It was the BEST way to wake up (and then promptly go back to sleep). So there you have it, 5 things that might lift your spirits on this Friday afternoon.
And just because I love you....here is one more: